Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) for Homeowners in Bankruptcy
The Making Home Affordable Program is a critical part of the government’s effort to stabilize the housing market and help struggling homeowners get relief and avoid foreclosure. The Program includes opportunities for homeowners in bankruptcy to modify their mortgage to make their payments more affordable through the Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP).
Homeowners whose monthly mortgage payment exceeds 31 percent of their verified gross (pre-tax) income may apply for a HAMP modification before or after filing bankruptcy.
To qualify for HAMP, a homeowner must:
- Own a one- to four-unit home that is their primary residence;
- Have received their mortgage on or before January 1, 2009;
- Have a mortgage payment (including taxes, insurance, and homeowners association dues) that is more than 31 percent of their gross (pre-tax) monthly income;
- Owe an amount that is less than or equal to $729,750 on their first mortgage for a one-unit property (there are higher limits for two- to four-unit properties); and
- Have a documented financial hardship.
To apply for HAMP, homeowners must submit an Initial Package to their mortgage servicer, which includes:
- A complete Request for Modification and Affidavit (RMA).*
- A complete Tax Authorization Form (IRS Form 4506T-EZ).*
- Proof of Income.*
*These forms and a Proof of Income checklist are available on the Making Home Affordable Web site MakingHomeAffordable.gov. Homeowners may also obtain copies of these forms from their bankruptcy trustee.
Mortgage servicers will determine whether homeowners qualify for a HAMP modification. Homeowners who qualify must complete a trial period of three or four months to demonstrate that they will be able to make reduced payments on time before their mortgage will be permanently modified.
TAKE ACTION TODAY!
- Visit MakingHomeAffordable.gov for more information about the Making Home Affordable Program.
- Homeowners should discuss HAMP with their bankruptcy attorney before making an application for a HAMP modification.
- Call 1-888-995-HOPE (4673) for information about the Making Home Affordable Program and to speak with a HUD-approved housing counselor for free. If you are having difficulties, call the hotline and ask for –MHA Help–.