Pre-Discharge Bankruptcy Education
The Bankruptcy Code now requires you to complete an approved financial education course with an approved agency* like CCCS-OC before your debts can be discharged. We are pleased to offer our financial program, “Money In Motion,” which can be completed online, in the comfort of your home, or in a classroom (Orange County only).
Money In Motion
“Money In Motion” addresses financial literacy issues that will give you the tools to prevent future financial problems. Among key topics:
- Rebuilding finances after bankruptcy
- Developing and following a budge
- Understanding and using credit
- “Predatory lending”
- Identity Theft
Enjoy the warmth and acceptance of a classroom setting, or set your own pace with our online course. Facilitators will help you review the material and answer all your questions. Once you pass a short quiz, you be provided with the Certificate you need to have your debts discharged.
- Approximate course length: 2 hours
- Bankruptcy filing location: In-person classes offered in Orange County, CA only. On-line offered in all states except Alabama, Illinois, Massachusetts, North Carolina, or Oregon.
- Certificate of completion: You will be given a certificate verifying completion of the course, and will have to file that certificate with the Bankruptcy Court in order to have your debts discharged. CCCS-OC is approved by the Executive Office for U.S. Trustees (EOUST) to issue this required certificate in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code*.
- Program cost, including certificate: $50 per filer. Payment may be made by money order, cashier’s check, or by clicking the pay online button below with a debit card featuring the MasterCard® or Visa® logo. Husband and wife must each take the course individually and pay separately if both are filing for bankruptcy. Fee may be waived in certain hardship cases.
- Select the course setting best for you: Online or Classroom
Registration for the Online Course
ONCE YOU COMPLETE THE ONLINE COURSE, INCLUDING ALL REQUIRED QUESTIONS AND WORKSHEETS, IT MUST BE REVIEWED BY AN EDUCATOR (EDUCATION DEPARTMENT) BEFORE YOUR CERTIFICATE IS ISSUED. The Educator may request additional information from you via email or telephone that MUST BE PROVIDED BEFORE YOUR CERTIFICATE CAN BE ISSUED. This is to ensure that you have successfully completed the required Pre-Discharge Education. This may take UP TO TWO BUSINESS DAYS TO COMPLETE.
Once the review is complete AND any requested additional information is provided, your certificate of completion will be sent to you via your chosen method (email, fax, or mail). YOUR CERTIFICATE WILL BE DATED WHEN THE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ARE ALL COMPLETE, NOT AT THE TIME YOU INITIALLY COMPLETE THE ONLINE COURSE ITSELF. Be sure you and/or your attorney are aware of the actual date that will appear on your certificate, as that may affect the timing of when you file your bankruptcy.
- Click here to read the disclosure letter.
- Click below to register and pay:
- Once you register and pay you may begin taking the course immediately.
- A certificate will be issued within two business days of notification of completion.
- The name on your debit card must match the information on your registration form.
To speak to a representative call (800) 213-2227 Ext. 128
Classroom Schedule (English & Spanish)
Bring to class: Photo ID, Your Bankruptcy Case Number, the Name of the City where Bankruptcy was filed.
Please arrive 20 minutes prior to class.
CCCS-OC also offers approved Pre-Bankruptcy Counseling, which is required before you can file for bankruptcy.