Pre-Discharge Bankruptcy Education
The Bankruptcy Code now requires you to complete an approved financial education course with an approved agency* like CCCS-OC before your debts can be discharged. We are pleased to offer our financial program, “Money In Motion,” which can be completed online, in the comfort of your home, or in a classroom (Orange County only).
Money In Motion
“Money In Motion” addresses financial literacy issues that will give you the tools to prevent future financial problems. Among key topics:
- Rebuilding finances after bankruptcy
- Developing and following a budge
- Understanding and using credit
- “Predatory lending”
- Identity Theft
Enjoy the warmth and acceptance of a classroom setting, or set your own pace with our online course. Facilitators will help you review the material and answer all your questions. Once you pass a short quiz, you be provided with the Certificate you need to have your debts discharged.
- Approximate course length: 2 hours
- Bankruptcy filing location: In-person classes offered in Orange County, CA only. On-line offered in all states except Alabama, Illinois, Massachusetts, North Carolina, or Oregon.
- Certificate of completion: You will be given a certificate verifying completion of the course, and will have to file that certificate with the Bankruptcy Court in order to have your debts discharged. CCCS-OC is approved by the Executive Office for U.S. Trustees (EOUST) to issue this required certificate in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code*.
- Program cost, including certificate: $50 per filer. Payment may be made by money order, cashier’s check, or by clicking the pay online button below with a debit card featuring the MasterCard® or Visa® logo. Husband and wife must each take the course individually and pay separately if both are filing for bankruptcy.
- If your household income is below 150% of the poverty level for your household size, or paying the fee for this counseling poses a hardship for you, you may be eligible for a fee waiver. Our educator will evaluate your eligibility for a fee waiver when reviewing your input in the education program, and grant you a refund if you qualify. However, if you’d like to be evaluated for the fee waiver before starting the program so that you do not have to pay the fee in advance, please email your income and hardship information to us at email@example.com with “BK Education Fee Waiver Request” in the subject line prior to proceeding.
- Select the course setting best for you: Online or Classroom